[squid-users] "Valid document was not found in the cache" forwarded to clients

Corentin Delcourt codl at codl.fr
Fri Feb 20 09:55:41 UTC 2015

Hello list.

I described this issue a few days ago on IRC and no-one could help me,
so I am now turning to you. Here's my problem:

I run two squid servers, siblings with each other, let's call them A and
B. When clients send requests to A, and A thinks B has the resource
cached, but in reality B doesn't, the client will get a 504 error with
the message: “Valid document was not found in the cache and
‘only-if-cached’ directive was specified.” Vice versa if clients send
requests to B.

I believe that A should catch this error and fetch the resource
directly, but instead it forwards it to the client, and I cannot figure
out why. I am not using allow-miss.

What confuses me even more is that this didn't happen a month ago, with
the same setup.

Below is my squid.conf for A. The squid.conf for B is the same, but with
B swapped for A in the cache_peer directive.

acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8
acl localnet src fc00::/7
acl localnet src fe80::/10

http_access allow localhost manager
http_access deny manager
http_access allow localnet
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all
http_port 3128

icp_access allow localnet
icp_access allow localhost
icp_access deny all
icp_port 3130

cache_dir aufs /var/cache/squid 16000 64 256

coredump_dir /var/cache/squid

refresh_pattern ^ftp:		1440	20%	10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher:	1440	0%	1440
refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?) 0	0%	0
refresh_pattern .		0	20%	4320

cache_peer B sibling 3128 3130