[squid-users] Is Squid can shutdown unused idle redirector's children?

Eliezer Croitoru eliezer at ngtech.co.il
Mon Feb 16 18:22:36 UTC 2015

Hey Yuri,

I looked eventually at Solaris 11 man pages at:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E29030/ps-1.html#scrolltoc

Just to be sure the next command would run:
"ps -e"

There is no subject to the discussion yet since the issue is yet to be
defined as an issue.

You mentioned Android autoclose but you must first be clear from a doubt!
Android is indeed Linux kernel based and provides some APIs for gui and
other components of the system but it is much different by nature.
If you would take a simple PC from 10 years ago indeed an Android device
beats it's specs and will have much more ram and CPU speed\power.
Android however with all it's API would not allow just any process
handle "iptables" rules out of the box in any form.
Is there a reason for that? maybe yes and maybe not but I mostly don't
care about it since it's not being used mostly for servers grade operations.

I would definitely not want to call you stupid but sometimes even I
cannot catch\understand\hold others way of thinking.

It's indeed not hard to execute pkill -9 "XYZ" but from my experience
any similar operation should not be considered as a production action.
In a case of bug that is being fixed\tested or a software that is out of
maintenance it might be the only solution but yet is not recommended.

Notice that any action you would do regarding this squidGuard helpers
will cost something like any other server simple operation.

Squid basically tries to take in account that to every operation there
is cost and the admin will prefer to run the server for more then a
period of 24\48 hours.
I understand that there is memory that is being used by squidGuard and I
would not expect it to not consume any memory at all.

The next step are not common CS use practice:
- The first step before rushing to terminate squidGuard would be to
check what is the DB files size which squidGuard uses.
- Then I would try to estimate what RAM usage I would expect for this
logic and for the DB files.
- At this point some would try to sacrifice some aspects of performance
compared to others due to what so ever reason.
- Others might try other directions.(I will take this "other" one.)
-- Consider what is more important between couple things:
* System ram or CPU utilization
* System stability
* System disk access reduction
* System network utilization
* System ching ching (ie $$ or other concurrency) costs
-- Based on choosing one or more from the options above and\or others
that the human mind can take in account, list them and make sure what
the current issue in hands hits and maybe by that costs or might cost
money or sleep or fuel or happiness or other important things that are
considered to be a loss and or a benefit.
 From this point on the solution in most of the time is simpler then
some might imagine.

Now I think is the right place to stop the actual lookup for one
solution or other and simply understand the technical issue you see and
understand it.

All The Bests,
Eliezer

* Waiting for the ps output.