[squid-users] Hypothetically comparing SATA\SAS to NAS\SAN for squid.

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Tue Feb 3 18:13:07 UTC 2015

On 02/03/2015 12:56 PM, Omid Kosari wrote:
> Squidbox1: Average HTTP requests per minute since start:	16000
> Squidbox2: Average HTTP requests per minute since start:	11000

16000 request/min = 266 requests/sec.
With a well-tuned Squid system I estimate that the disk I/O is less than 2000 IOPS
and the current SSDs should be able to cope with that.  So speed should not be an issue.

Why do you want to extend? Is it only to extend the disk cache capacity?

What is are specs of the current SSDs ?
It is worthwile to replace them with new SSDs with higher performance/capacity ?

> About 300Mbit of bandwidth (Only http bandwidth which routed to squid boxes)
>
> Right now squid boxes have 4 250GB SSD and there is no more free sata slots
> on them . I want to use SAN/NAS to extend their capacity .
>
> No i don't have free NAS/SAN but somebody has a 2bay model of following
> model and suggest me half price
> http://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/support-content/external-products/blackarmor-nas/_shared/docs/business-nas-guides/Seagate_NAS_Admin_Guide_EN.pdf

The PDF points to a Windows-only based NAS !

> and found a review. i am not sure it is for same model
> http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_business_storage_windows_server_4bay_nas_review
>
> Is it useful for my purpose ? Or please provide general specs that i should
> be aware before buy .

Marcus