[squid-users] squid3 / debian stable / please update to 3.4.14

Massimo.Sala at asl.bergamo.it Massimo.Sala at asl.bergamo.it
Thu Dec 31 13:16:23 UTC 2015

Hi Amos

>       Hi Massimo, why cc'ing squid-users? nothing this list can do about
it.

Package update : I know, it is a topic for debian users and package
maintainer, so strictly speaking it is off-topic.

youtube video, disabling QUIC : I think it will be of general interest, I
switch to a new thread for it.

Two subjects in one Email, excuse me !

Many thanks, Sala

Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>
31/12/2015 10:43

Massimo.Sala at asl.bergamo.it
cc
luigi at debian.org,
Subject
Re: [squid-users] squid3 / debian stable / please update to 3.4.14

On 2015-12-30 03:26, Massimo.Sala at asl.bergamo.it wrote:
> ciao Luigi
>
> I ask to update the distro to squid 3.4.14, the last stable version,
> released in august.
>
> Rationale :
> 1) various bugs and memory leaks fixed;
> 2) security fix for CVE 2015 5400;
> 3) support for Alternate-Protocol HTTP header.
>
> I need 3) to disable QUIC on youtube, otherwise squid3 cannot cache
> videos.

Anyhow, the Debian 3.4.8-6 package has already been patched to contain
the important fixes from later upstream 3.4 releases.
<
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/s/squid3/squid3_3.4.8-6+deb8u1_changelog

(that covers your #1 and #2 items)

All it lacks is the minor changes which AFAIK do not meet the criteria
required for acceptance into the Debian stable distro.

If you need custom build with other features (such as HTTPS support),
you are better off building the more up to date 3.5 version available
from Stretch/Testing repository.

As for #3, the Alternate-Protocol header patch is just automating these
squid.conf settings, which you can use explicitly in any Squid version:

  acl AP rep_header_regex Alternate-Protocol .
  reply_header_access deny AP

HTH