[squid-users] blocking certain file types by content

Markus markus.bytom.pl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 21:39:19 UTC 2015

Yuri Voinov wrote:

> Think more. ALL ICAP solutions checks content. Diladele is not only solution which checks content.
[...]

> You really think executable files can have only known extension?

My way of thinking was like that:
instead of testing with AV each .exe or .zip file better block it out
(except for whitelist domains). Because testing with AV needs CPU/RAM.
But as we already established - executables can be downloaded as JPG
/TXT or whatever. If so - AV makes only sense if we test every kind of
extensions/streams. Right?

let's consider such possible case:

here we have putty.exe (without virus ;-) , but saved as txt file:

http://6web.pl/~mserafin/putty.txt

now we can just download it and change extension for exe. My question is -
can ICAP-Clamav detect that it's windows executable and block it?
(even without testing against viruses)?

and here more complicated case:

http://6web.pl/~mserafin/putty_zip.txt   (it's a regular ZIP file with
putty.exe inside)