[squid-users] blocking certain file types by content

Yuri Voinov yvoinov at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 20:47:12 UTC 2015

Finally,

14.12.15 2:22, Markus пишет:
> hi,
> thanks for your help guys. I suspected that ICAP will be necessary.
> but I thought that even ICAP checks it only by the file extension or
> by server response (mime-type). Surprisingly Diladele is able to check

Think more. ALL ICAP solutions checks content. Diladele is not only
solution which checks content.

> the first bytes of file content, which is exactly what I wanted.
> On the other hand I don't want to check exe files by external AV for 2
reasons
> 1. I don't believe in its effectiveness :)
> 2. each user has an comercial AV on his PC

You need to learn - not all commercial anti-virus software detects all.
And vice versa. Therefore, even if an external antivirus control reduces
the probability of malware  penetration just twice - it should be used.

Also, remember one thing. Caching Proxy can be infected - and then you
get a large-scale epidemic, regardless used on the client computer
antivirus software or not.

I have encountered similar situations in the past and they usually lead
to large-scale network failures.

> As I said in the first post - I already block exe files by squid ACL.

You really think executable files can have only known extension?

> Now I'm afraid that some malware software can get through web/http by
> omitting this ACL (will be downloaded as jpg).

Sure. That is why you will be forced to use only one really existing
solution.