[squid-users] How to limit user traffic quota? (GoGo net)

Robert Plamondon robert at plamondon.com
Thu Dec 3 16:23:07 UTC 2015

I haven't used delay pools in a while, but I would think that the updated
Squid 3 delay pools (with 64-bit counters and per-authenticated-user
buckets) would allow such quotas.

I'd take the monthly quota and turn it into a per-second rate. If my math
isn't failing me, 100 GB/month = 38,500 bytes per second. That would be the
refill rate on the delay pool. Users will be guaranteed this rate. Their BW
would never be cut off, just throttled to the rate they're paying for.

Then pick a max value to taste. I like to populate delay pools to support
an enormous burst size (the "maximum" parameter in the pool), so the
bandwidth limitations will rarely if ever be encountered by the average
user. 10% of the monthly allotment, or 10 GB, (3 days' worth of bandwidth)
strikes me as a good starting point, but I wouldn't have much resistance to
even higher numbers, like 25%.

Robert