[squid-users] Building squid | Best Practices?

Howard Waterfall hwaterfall at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 17:42:03 UTC 2015

+squid-users

Thanks again, this is valuable information!

As you may have guessed, I'm asking about the user that should do builds to
ensure that the build outputs are created with the appropriate permissions
- I get a little concerned about security. It sounds like you are
suggesting that I simply create a directory for my custom builds:

I assign the --prefix option to the folder I create, so my build output
goes there, and then I make sure the permissions for that folder (and it's
sub-directories) are set for the user defined by *cache_effective_user* (and
the user defined by the ./configure option --*with-default-user*). Could
you confirm?

Finally (I hope), I've re-installed Ubuntu (various reasons, not just squid
issues) and I successfully installed squid using:
*sudo apt-get install squid3*

Squid wasn't found the first time:
*E: Unable to locate package squid3*

I had to run this first:
*sudo apt-get update*

However, when I try *apt-get build-dep squid,* I get:
*You must put some 'source' uris in your sources.list*

I can't seem to get over this problem. I've un-commented every line in
*/etc/apt/sources.list* that starts with deb-src.

Could you suggest a repository that I can add to */etc/apt/sources.list*?

Thanks,
Deiter