[squid-users] Building squid | Best Practices?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Aug 30 12:54:07 UTC 2015

On 30/08/2015 1:07 p.m., Howard Waterfall wrote:
> Great stuff thanks a lot! Excellent timing too just getting ready to do the
> make. I'll follow your suggestions. A couple of follow ups:
>
> When doing the make (including ./configure), do I have to be running as
> root or some particular user? I set up a squid user and user group and also
> a squidadm user group...

You dont for the ./configure part.

Make might need it to overwrite system files during the install part if
you choose to replace the system files in-place. But that is just
another reason to use a custom /proxy folder for the installation, which
wont need root.

> Finally I noticed that configure didn't have -x permissions with 3.5.7. I
> guess I'll have to change that out of the gate...

Hmm. Yes it should have -x permissions. Thanks for that I will have to
double-check the 3.5.8 release.