[squid-users] Has anyone a working config for windows update through squid?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 20 11:24:56 UTC 2015

On 20/08/2015 9:46 p.m., Peter wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 08:32:13PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> On 20/08/2015 7:59 p.m., Peter wrote:
>>> We run squid 3.5.6 in a proxy server with FreeBSD 9.3.
>>> Squid is the only way out, there is no transparency at all.
>>> We have problems with windows update through squid.
>>
>> What "problems" ?
>
> Just general failures I'm afraid.
>
>>> I have looked at this:
>>> https://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg94710.html
>>> and this:
>>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
>>>
>>> But they are both more than a year old.
>>
>> Nothing has really changed until Win10. And that only to use P2P
>> protocols not relevant to proxying.
>>

>>> I have entered the config recommendations from the Faq page above.
>>> But reload-into-ims seems to be removed, I get syntax error when
>>> I try to add that option. Even though this page still lists
>>> reload-into-ims as a valid option:
>>> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/cfgman/refresh_pattern.html
>>
>> HTTP violations require Squid to be built with --enable-http-violations.
>
> Ok, I see. Should I add reload-into-ims or should I avoid it?

Up to you. That one makes it impossible for the end-user to force a
re-fetch of any truncated or broken-Vary-header content your Squid may
be providing.

The popular browsers dont send a reload request without a specific
3-button magic sequence by the user anyway. So its not as much needed
now as with IE5/6 which seemed to do one on every other fetch.

>>> Anyway, I wonder if anyone has a working config for
>>> windows update through squid?
>>
>> Question is "which" windows?
>
> Sorry, forgot to write that. Windows 7 and 8.
>
> But I just found a possible cause for error that I didn't
> see earlier. We had an old line
> refresh_pattern -i xxx 0 0% 0
> with update.microsoft.com among others in the xxx pattern.
> I removed that update.microsoft.com and now it seems to work.

Strange. That rule says *not* to cache unless the server explicitly
gives a Expires or Cache-Control settings.

> We will let it be like this for a week and check status later.
>
> Thanks!

Welcome.