[squid-users] Has anyone a working config for windows update through squid?

Peter list-squid-users at jyborn.se
Thu Aug 20 09:46:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 08:32:13PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 20/08/2015 7:59 p.m., Peter wrote:
> > We run squid 3.5.6 in a proxy server with FreeBSD 9.3.
> > Squid is the only way out, there is no transparency at all.
> > We have problems with windows update through squid.
>
> What "problems" ?

Just general failures I'm afraid.

> > I have looked at this:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg94710.html
> > and this:
> > http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
> >
> > But they are both more than a year old.
>
> Nothing has really changed until Win10. And that only to use P2P
> protocols not relevant to proxying.
>

> > I have entered the config recommendations from the Faq page above.
> > But reload-into-ims seems to be removed, I get syntax error when
> > I try to add that option. Even though this page still lists
> > reload-into-ims as a valid option:
> > http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/cfgman/refresh_pattern.html
>
> HTTP violations require Squid to be built with --enable-http-violations.

Ok, I see. Should I add reload-into-ims or should I avoid it?

> > Anyway, I wonder if anyone has a working config for
> > windows update through squid?
>
> Question is "which" windows?

Sorry, forgot to write that. Windows 7 and 8.

But I just found a possible cause for error that I didn't
see earlier. We had an old line
refresh_pattern -i xxx 0 0% 0
with update.microsoft.com among others in the xxx pattern.
I removed that update.microsoft.com and now it seems to work.
We will let it be like this for a week and check status later.

Thanks!

Peter