[squid-users] Has anyone a working config for windows update through squid?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Aug 20 08:32:13 UTC 2015

On 20/08/2015 7:59 p.m., Peter wrote:
> We run squid 3.5.6 in a proxy server with FreeBSD 9.3.
> Squid is the only way out, there is no transparency at all.
> We have problems with windows update through squid.

What "problems" ?

> I have looked at this:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg94710.html
> and this:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/WindowsUpdate
>
> But they are both more than a year old.

Nothing has really changed until Win10. And that only to use P2P
protocols not relevant to proxying.

> I have entered the config recommendations from the Faq page above.
> But reload-into-ims seems to be removed, I get syntax error when
> I try to add that option. Even though this page still lists
> reload-into-ims as a valid option:
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/cfgman/refresh_pattern.html

HTTP violations require Squid to be built with --enable-http-violations.

> Anyway, I wonder if anyone has a working config for
> windows update through squid?

Question is "which" windows?

 XP and older have problems needing a specific command-line to be run on
the client. Thats mentioned in the wiki.

 Vista thru 8 just use HTTP and the proxy like any other updater system.
Nothing special there apart from occasional GB big service packs needing
sysadmin care.

 8.1 and 10 sometimes use HTTPS, but not in a way that would cause
proxying problems.

 10 uses P2P protocols or HTTPS. But still not in ways that would cause
proxy problems (beyond the normal HTTPS bandwidth increase).