[squid-dev] mirrors with missing files

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Oct 31 19:32:10 UTC 2023

On 2023-10-31 06:08, Adam Majer wrote:
> I've looked at the mirrors posted,
>
>    http://www.squid-cache.org/Download/mirrors.html
>
> and these seem all obsolete.

Thank you for doing this analysis! I have been begging the Project to
drop all mirrors for a long time now. I failed to convince others that
the associated embarrassment and waste of time are just not worth the
benefits. Maybe your observations will be the last straw...

> I'm not sure, but maybe a more reliable way would be to migrate to
> github.com for the releases.

FWIW, I am quite sure, and has been making that suggestion for several
years now. GitHub is far from perfect, but using its release posting
features (correctly) will dramatically decrease our release overheads
and delays. This migration is not trivial, and I have failed to convince
others that it is worth their time to start migrating.