[squid-dev] RFC: Squid documentation upgrade

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Oct 11 14:32:05 UTC 2023

On 2023-10-11 02:25, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As those familiar with Squid sources will know the documentation of
> Squid is currently spread across various formats. Some custom ones, and
> some very outdated.
>
> So far we have a casual agreement amongst the core dev team to use
> Markdown when reasonably possible. If anyone has issues with that please
> chime in ASAP, otherwise I shall continue under the assumption that we
> are good to make it "official".

FWIW, I (still) agree that we should use Markdown as human-friendly text
input format, where reasonable.

> I am looking at the <https://pandoc.org/> Markdown tools as possible
> replacement of linuxdoc tools to translate automatically the following
> documentation outputs:
>   * release notes,
>   * squid.conf.documented,
>   * the .man / .info / .pdf files,
>   * the INSTALL and QUICKSETUP files

I do not know what "translate [squid.conf.documented and .pdf]
automatically" (to Markdown) means to you in this context, especially
since (in the official squid repository) "linuxdoc tools" are only used
in release notes context. Reaching a rough agreement on what to change,
how to change it, and where to change it before changing it may be
prudent. Here are a few comments to bootstrap that process:

* release notes: I recommend discussing changes to release notes
maintenance and structure before changing their format. It would be nice
to address several persistent problems that we often bump into when
working on release notes PRs.

* squid.conf.documented: The format of that file is Squid configuration
format, not Markdown. FWIW, I am against changing the entire cf.data.pre
format to Markdown. I am against keeping cf.data.pre as is but
translating squid.conf.documented format (or portions thereof) to
Markdown (especially if that requires changes in squid repository). We
have discussed how cf.data.pre and friends should be restructured and
reformatted. We should finish those discussions and implement those
changes instead.

* .man, .info, .pdf files: Your call (assuming .8 and similar source
files in squid repository remain unchanged).

* INSTALL and QUICKSETUP: I support rewriting these and other top-level
[A-Z]* files in Markdown, where possible. The other candidates are
CONTRIBUTORS, COPYING, CREDITS, ChangeLog, README, and SPONSORS(.list).

HTH,

Alex.