[squid-dev] RFC: Squid documentation upgrade

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Oct 11 06:25:58 UTC 2023

Hi all,

As those familiar with Squid sources will know the documentation of
Squid is currently spread across various formats. Some custom ones, and
some very outdated.

So far we have a casual agreement amongst the core dev team to use
Markdown when reasonably possible. If anyone has issues with that please
chime in ASAP, otherwise I shall continue under the assumption that we
are good to make it "official".

I am looking at the <https://pandoc.org/> Markdown tools as possible
replacement of linuxdoc tools to translate automatically the following
documentation outputs:
  * release notes,
  * squid.conf.documented,
  * the .man / .info / .pdf files,
  * the INSTALL and QUICKSETUP files

This would impact anyone building Squid packages from our repository
instead of the formal release bundles. As well as our testing
infrastructure.

The tools are GPL with sources public in github, so SHOULD be easily
available everywhere. At the very least it has been available in both
Debian and RHEL distributions for many years. If this change to Squid
build requirements is an issue for anyone please speak up.

Cheers