[squid-dev] squid.conf future

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Feb 26 20:43:29 UTC 2020

On 2/25/20 1:31 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> Any suggestions of formats I should look at then?

I believe cf.data.pre should use two primary formats, each optimized
specifically for the content it is applied to. The secondary details of
each format will evolve, but here is where I would start today:

1. YAML-like metadata to supply formal details about each directive. We
already use this today, and I expect no significant changes in the
immediate future (even though many improvements are possible in this area!).

2. Markdown for informal documentation inside DOC_START...DOC_END,
DEFAULT_DOC, and similar text blocks. Preprocessing includes validation
of internal references (for sure), generation of internal anchors
(probably), and removal of minimal common indentation (not sure; need to
experiment/discuss). Other preprocessing actions may be desirable as
well, of course. An agreement on the lower-level details and a
non-trivial conversion effort would be required. We can discuss whether
to do it incrementally or once-and-for-all.

HTH,