[squid-dev] OpenSSL 1.1 regression

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun May 21 16:56:05 UTC 2017

On 21/05/17 11:03, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I am missing coupe things about the subject and I want to verify it with your all.
>  From my point of view when maintaining the RPM's for couple distributions I am looking at:
> Would a specific OpenSSL library hit the distributions I maintain or not or just in a couple years?
> But I am not sure about the concern of the developers since I read something about gcc 6 which is the cutting edge version of gcc to my knowledge.

GCC-7 is now the latest. GCC-6 is old enough for some "stable"
distributions to be including it.

> And I want to understand:
> What is the aim of the Squid-Cache software development team for Versions 3.5, 4.X, 5.X?

Each member of the team has different goals/aims. What actually happens
is somewhat the intersection of those ideas.

As maintainer my goals are to get the last bugs of v4 closed and release
it, dropping formal support for v3.5 before April 2024.

> Also, Do we expect the main line linux distributions to use the cutting edge gcc or OpenSSL or
> we are just in the stage which we try to patch up things before the actual integration of these tools will be done?(can take even couple years..)

Officially we support as many OS as possible for their latest stable
distribution release, and pre-stable releases if we can. Older releases
and LTS are left to the OS vendors themselves for maintenance or
sponsored work.

As for those specific mentioned software;

* Squid-3.5 are expected to be compatible with GCC-4.*, OpenSSL-0.9.*
and OpenSSL-1.0.* (the 'old' libssl API).

* Squid-4+ are expected to be compatible with GCC-5+ and OpenSSL-1.*.

Of course respectively newer or older versions may work, but that is
more luck than intention.