[squid-dev] Bzr to git migration schedule

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 18 04:40:34 UTC 2017

On 07/15/2017 10:43 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 07/11/2017 10:20 PM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>>   2017-07-11: No more new tags in the official bzr repo.
>>   2017-07-13: No more new commits(*) in the official bzr repo.
>>   2017-07-14: Migration starts.
>>   2017-07-15: Anticipated optimistic migration end.
>>   2017-07-18: Anticipated pessimistic migration end.
>>
>> All times are noon UTC.

> The migration steps are done. According to the automated tests, all bzr
> and git commits match (except for bzr commits containing empty
> directories, as expected). However, I suggest _not_ declaring the
> migration over yet and keeping both the old bzr and the new git
> repository intact for 24 hours in case somebody notices problems with
> the new official git repository at
>
>     https://github.com/squid-cache/squid

I think we should declare the migration over, and the official
repository to be at the above Github URL.

I saw no problem reports about the new repository. We found and fixed
one bug in the migration tool when migrating some of the Factory
branches, but that bug did not affect the official repository which has
a simpler structure. We could still go back to bzr in the face of
disaster, but I hope that would not be necessary.

Needless to say, this git migration is just the first step towards
decent Project QA. The next steps are updating various maintenance
scripts (thank you, Amos, for working on that) and pre-commit build
tests of pull requests (Eduard is leading that effort). The basic build
test enabled on Github should detect many serious problems today, but I
hope to see a lot more powerful Jenkins-driven tests in the coming weeks.

Cheers,