[squid-dev] Bzr to git migration schedule

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Jul 18 00:14:42 UTC 2017

On 07/17/2017 04:20 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 17/07/17 06:14, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> Since we will switch to PR-only commit
>> path (for master) as soon as Eduard's CI integration is ready, I suggest
>> that we keep the current review-required setup to practice. We can
>> always undo/relax it if we discover problems, and it is better to
>> discover as much of them as possible _now_, in a simplified environment
>> without CI.
>>
>> Do you think testing the PR review requirement before CI is ready is a
>> good idea?

> I'm not sure what the problem you hint at might be, but testing to find
> out is definitely a good idea whatever it is.

I did not mean to hint at any known problem: When doing something new,
like a new commit process, one is likely to run into some yet-unknown
problems, and it would be nice to trouble shoot them in a simpler
environment.

The first such problem surfaced today: The "require Code Owners review"
option blocked PRs because Squid has no Code Owners, as defined by
Github[1]. I unchecked that option.

[1] https://github.com/blog/2392-introducing-code-owners

> I was envisioning the CI to be an extra pre-commit test done in parallel
> with manual review so CI results are just treated in our process as an
> automatic reviewer vote for/against commit - not as automatic acceptance
> of all PR changes into master.

Your summary matches my expectations. Master commits will be automated
as well, but that is a separate step/problem, not directly related to CI.

> Github: Merging can be performed automatically once the requested
> changes are addressed.

Please note that Github definition of "automation" appears to be
different from mine in this context. AFAICT, Github considers manual
commits done via its web interface "automation". I do not.

BTW, while Eduard is working on proper Jenkins integration, I have
enabled a basic "./bootstrap.sh && ./configure && make && make
distcheck" test via Semaphore CI. You can see Github waiting for that
test in your PR now... If you want to see the other side, I think you
need to create a personal Semaphore CI account so that I can add you to
the Squid Organization there.

The CI check for your PR is probably stuck because the PR code has not
been updated since CI testing was enabled. I tried to tickle Semaphore
but failed, and added a comment about it to your PR. I know a similar
check worked OK (eventually) for a _new_ PR that I did on a forked Squid
repository before migrating the setup to the Squid project.

Cheers,