[squid-dev] [RFC] nullptr conversion (again)

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Apr 12 16:10:17 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 09:53 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> I have been thinking of this again and think I have come up with a way
> to make some better progress.
>
> The idea is to split the NULL -> nullptr changes into two groups:
>
> 1) those lines where sed s/nullptr/NULL/g can be used to reverse the
> change completely in backports to 3.x
>
> 2) everything else. Some refactor is needed so that can stay with the
> current as-touched policy.

> Forward-porting of code will still have some merge related pain

Other sources of pain will include "v5 to v4" and "v5 to any v5-based
branch" porting AFAICT.

Is it really difficult to write a script that will rename most NULLs
that are safe to rename without breaking anything? Perhaps I am
forgetting some context here, but what is the primary reason why making
such a script is so difficult?