[squid-users] log_referrer question

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed May 22 13:04:21 UTC 2024

On 22/05/24 07:51, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 2024-05-21 13:50, Bobby Matznick wrote:
>> I have been trying to use a combined log format for squid. The below
>> line in the squid config is my current attempt.
>>
>> logformat combined %>a %[ui %[un [%tl "%rm %ru HTTP/%rv" %>Hs %<st
>> "%{Referer}>h" "%{User-Agent}>h" %Ss:%Sh
>
> Please do not redefine built-in logformat configurations like "squid"
> and "combined". Name and define your own instead.

For built-in formats do not use logformat directive at all. Just
configure the log output:

  access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log combined

As Alex said, please do not try to re-define the built-in formats. If
you must define *a* format with the same/similar details, use a custom
name for yours.

>> So, checked with squid -v and do not see “—enable-referrer_log” as one
>> of the configure options used during install. Would I need to
>> reinstall, or is that no longer necessary in version 4.13?
>
> referer_log and the corresponding ./configure options have been removed
> long time ago, probably before v4.13 was released.

Since Squid v3.2 that log has been a built-in logformat. Just configure
a log like this:

  access_log daemon:/var/log/squid/access.log referrer

HTH