[squid-users] log_referrer question

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue May 21 19:57:59 UTC 2024

On 2024-05-21 14:47, Bobby Matznick wrote:
> To add and maybe clarify what my confusion is, the log entries below
> (hidden internal/external IP’s, domain and username) don’t seem to show
> what I expected, a line marked “referrer”. Am I misunderstanding how
> that should show up in the log?

Kind of: HTTP CONNECT requests normally do not have Referer headers.
These requests establish a TCP tunnel to an origin server through Squid.
The "real" requests to origin server are inside that tunnel.

In some cases, it is possible to configure the client and Squid in such
a way that Squid can look inside that tunnel and find "real" requests,
but doing so well requires a lot of effort, including becoming a
Certificate Authority and configuring client to trust certificates
produced by that Certificate Authority. You can search for SslBump to
get more information, but the area is full of insurmountable
difficulties and misleading advice. Avoid it if at all possible.

HTH,