[squid-users] Information Request: "Accept-Ranges" with use of SSL intercept and dynamic update caching

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jun 14 08:45:56 UTC 2024

On 11/06/24 16:47, Jonathan Lee wrote:
> The reason I ask is sometimes Facebook when I am using it locks up and
> my fan goes crazy I close Safari and restart the browser and it works
> fine again. It acts like it is restarting a download over and over again.

Because it is. Those websites use "infinite scrolling" for delivery.
Accept-Ranges tells the server that it does not have to re-deliver the
entire JSON dataset for the scrolling part in full, every few seconds.

That header is defined by
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9110#name-accept-ranges>

HTH
Amos