[squid-users] Squid as http to https forward proxy

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jul 4 14:36:05 UTC 2024

On 2024-07-04 09:20, Wagner, Juergen03 wrote:

> we are evaluating Squid to be used as a http to https forward proxy.
>
> So Squid would need to support the following setup:
>
>      http (client)    ---->   Squid  --->  https ( server )
>
> Could someone please confirm if the given setup is in principle possible
> with Squid?
>
> If yes, which configuration needs to be done?

Hello Juergen,

     Yes, Squid should be able to forward plain text HTTP requests to a
secure server. Use cache_peer directive with "tls" and "originserver"
flags. Here is an untested sketch:

     # routing all traffic to one HTTPS origin server
     cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 443 0 tls originserver \
         name=MySecureOrigin \
         no-query no-digest
     cache_peer_access MySecureOrigin allow all
     always_direct deny all
     never_direct allow all
     nonhierarchical_direct off

HTH,