[squid-users] Squid - Queue overflow

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Jan 31 18:15:27 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-29 07:09, Andre Bolinhas wrote:

> I'm getting this error in cache.log
>
> 2024/01/29 14:33:03 kid5| ERROR: Collapsed forwarding queue overflow for
> kid1 at 1024 items
>      current master transaction: master2163155

> This leads Squid stops filtering or check any of the ACL rules, allowing
> users to navigate to all websites without any kind of filtering or control.

FWIW, I am surprised by such a side effect. Are you sure that it is this
particular ERROR that leads to access controls bypass? Are there any
other alarming messages in cache.log?

> Can you help to understand and correct this issue please.

My recommendation is to upgrade to Squid v6 and address "Your cache is
running out of filedescriptors" WARNINGs that you have reported in
another squid-users thread. Once your Squid descriptor resources match
the traffic Squid receives, this ERROR may disappear. If the ERROR is
still there after those two changes, it may be easier to triage it in a
cleaner environment.

HTH,