[squid-users] Squid macOS homebrew package doesn't put squid files in a neat folder

Hima Tammineedi hima at withforge.com
Wed Apr 24 19:21:13 UTC 2024

Hi,

It seems that on macOS with homebrew, that the squid files are not
installed in a proper subdirectory like they are on linux.

I installed squid on macOS with `brew install squid`
I then noticed that the conf file is found at `/opt/homebrew/etc/squid.conf`
And then after some digging and searching, found that the access.log and
cache.log are at `/opt/homebrew/var/logs/{access,cache}.log`.

But the part that doesn't seem good here is that these files are not being
put into folders.
In `/opt/homebrew/etc/` for example, it would be better if the three files
that squid created: squid.conf, squid.conf.default,
and squid.conf.documented were put into a subdir like
`/opt/homebrew/etc/squid/squid.conf` etc.
That would be better organization.

It's worse for the log files because they are just in the root logs folder
with generic names "access" and "cache", and so some other program could
use the same file names and they might overwrite each other!

In linux installs, there is a subdir.

Can this be fixed?

Thanks,