[squid-users] Squid 6.8 SSL_BUMP TLS Error

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Apr 18 21:16:39 UTC 2024

On 2024-04-18 04:13, Rauch, Mario wrote:

> We have created a DER version of the PEM certificate which Squid uses
> and imported this into client certificate store using script like this:
>
> certmgr /add DN_SIGNATOR_CA.der /r localMachine /s root
>
> DN_SIGNATOR_CA.der is the self signed certificate

There is no practical way for me to verify that the above steps have the
desired result. However, _you_ can verify that by, for example, using
OpenSSL s_server configured with a certificate signed by DN_SIGNATOR_CA.
Does the client trust that test server?

Can you verify that your client is getting a certificate signed by
DN_SIGNATOR_CA? Depending on TLS version, it may be possible to do that
using Wireshark or a similar packet capture analysis tool. If you can
run OpenSSL s_client or a similar test client, it can also tell you what
certificate(s) it is getting from Squid.

> Maybe there must be some additional or changed setting in config from
> 3.5 > 6.8 Squid version?

Lots of things changed since Squid v3. Others may be able to guide you
through those changes, but I cannot. That is why I am focusing on
solving your problem in v6 (rather than trying to figure out what change
triggered that problem).

> As I wrote on old server with Squid 3.5 and same certificate it worked.
> Should I attach both config files?

Personally, I am not interested in Squid v3 configuration. Seeing your
ssl_bump rules for v6 may be useful (especially if you know for sure
which rules have matched for the test transaction), but I would _start_
by checking that Squid is sending the certificate(s) you think it is
sending.

HTH,

Alex.