[squid-users] Squid 5.6 and 5.9 keep crashing due to signal 6 with status 0

Flashdown flashdown at data-core.org
Thu Sep 14 11:02:54 UTC 2023

Hello together,

yesterday an unexpected issue occured for the first time on only one of
my squid servers, while having more than 20 of them.

The issue is that out of a sudden squid just dies with such messages
visible in the systemctl status output for squid:

Sep 14 08:55:06 vm-myproxy squid[79100]: Squid Parent: squid-2 process
80675 exited due to signal 6 with status 0
Sep 14 08:55:06 vm-myproxy squid[79100]: Squid Parent: squid-2 process
80675 will not be restarted for 3600 seconds due to repeated, frequent
failures

I tried a snapshot of april of this server and have the same results, so
I can assure there where no changes done. We also tried a restore from
backup as well as deploying a new server. All result in the same. Then I
have upgraded squid last night from 5.6 on Debian 11 to 5.9 and it
worked for the night, today the same issue happened in the morning and
keeped happening until I found a timely coincidence with a client
request each time the proxy dies in the access.log which looks exactly
like these:

1694674498.411      9 **CENSORED_internal_client_IP** TCP_DENIED/407
4129 CONNECT [ff00::]:443 - HIER_NONE/- text/html
1694674498.464      1 **CENSORED_internal_client_IP** TCP_DENIED/407
4129 CONNECT [ff00::]:443 - HIER_NONE/- text/html
1694674499.556      7 **CENSORED_internal_client_IP** TCP_DENIED/407
4129 CONNECT [ff00::]:443 - HIER_NONE/- text/html

So my next idea was to block all the requests of this client using
iptables, just out of curiosity and since then squid seems to keep
beeing up and running correctly. So does anybody know a bug that would
match here or did I step into something new/unknown?

The client desktop PC (Windows 10) causing these requests is currently
disconnected from the network and shutdown for further analysis and
tests.

Our Squid is configured to require kerberos authentication and IPv6 is
disabled via sysctl config "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" as
currently only IPv4 is available and because ipv4_first config option of
squid was deprecated some while ago.

The cache.log is attached to this mail.

Any idea/help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

--
Best regards,
Flashdown

the system manager. This message contains confidential information and
is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you
are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing,
copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents
of this information is strictly prohibited.