[squid-users] [ext] Squid quits while starting?!

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Oct 2 06:46:23 UTC 2023

On 01.10.23 16:28, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> Squid's user friendliness could use a major overhaul.  I absolutely despise
> programs which are designed this way.  It just silently fails on startup
> with no obvious reason or explanation given, even if one enables debug
> output to find out why.  Instead you have to get online and search, ask
> questions in a mailing list, etc to find out you have to type in some
> obscure commands.

is there nothing in cache_log file?

> "Too few ssl_crtd processes are running" and "FATAL: The ssl_crtd helpers
> are crashing too rapidly, need help!" are some of the dumbest error
> messages ever conceived.

There is nothing dumb about this. You have configured squid to start
ssl_crtd processes and they crash. The only thing squid can tell you that
there is something wrong with them.

> Reminds me of every web site these days with
> their "Oops something went wrong lol" errors.

The same applies to web clients, what do you expect squid to do, display
"squid admin screwed up the ssl_crtd configuration"?

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.