[squid-users] [EXTERNAL] FreeBSD 12 thousands connections

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 22:08:21 UTC 2023

Hey,

I know that the choice was made to use FreeBSD 12...
But I can suggest to use Linux and not FreeeBSD.
I have not tested this for a very long time but the last time I checked Linux was handling network traffic better then FreeBSD.
I also believe that if you would have any issues, you would be able to get better support on a Linux rather than FreeBSD.

Also, it is really important to know if you will be intercepting traffic in a TPROXY or NAT mode.
And the most important thing is to know that you will be facing a testing and integration period.
You might expect your 3k clients to use only 12k connections max but it's plausible to assume that it will
be much more when there would be load on the network.
Assuming a client will use Firefox, it has a pool of 6 connections per server and 900 maximum connections for the browser.
If you will take a simple website like yahoo or any other modern site you will face multiple servers for the same page..
which means that the connections per client will be more than double 4.

So, my recommendation is to take a Linux system either Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Alma, Oracle, Other
and use the machine only as a Router to see the number of connections you have on the network on peak hours.
If you do have another device on the network that is capable of providing the statistics for web (ports 80 and 443)
connections feel free to use that to make sure that your capacity planning is accurate.

Yours,
Elezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru