[squid-users] Using tcp_outgoing_address with ACL

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Jun 22 17:11:08 UTC 2023

On 6/22/23 04:59, Andrey K wrote:

> I reproduced the issue in the test environment.
> I configured my squid with the debug_options: ALL,1 28,9
> and ran the test curl from the same proxy host:
>     curl -m 4 -k --tlsv1.2 --proxy-user 'user:pass' -s -o /dev/null -w
> "%{http_code}"  --proxy localhost:3131 https://archive.org
> <https://archive.org>
>
> The client got the 200-response and it works fine.
>
> In the access.log the corresponding records are:
>     2023-06-22 10:59:58|    747 127.0.0.1 NONE_NONE/200/- 0 CONNECT
> archive.org:443 <http://archive.org:443> - HIER_DIRECT/archive.org
> <http://archive.org> - - - -
>     2023-06-22 10:59:58|    201 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/200/200 3833 GET
> https://archive.org/ <https://archive.org/> - HIER_DIRECT/archive.org
> <http://archive.org> text/html - - -
>
> The cache.log is available at the link:
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/12xQch5nHAzijAh4PxZV4mZzjviYX7l7B/view?usp=sharing

> There are three warnings there:
>     grep WARN /tmp/acl.log
>     2023/06/22 10:59:57.875 kid6| WARNING: domdst_SIProxy ACL is used in
> context without an HTTP request. Assuming mismatch.
>     2023/06/22 10:59:57.884 kid6| WARNING: domdst_SIProxy ACL is used in
> context without an HTTP request. Assuming mismatch.
>     2023/06/22 10:59:58.536 kid6| WARNING: domdst_SIProxy ACL is used in
> context without an HTTP request. Assuming mismatch.

The shared log is not detailed enough for me to pinpoint the problem,
but there are several places in Squid code where tcp_outgoing_address is
used without a request. Some of those places look like Squid bugs to me.
Some look legitimate. Again, I cannot tell whether your Squid is hitting
one of those places; if you want more definitive answers, please share a
compressed ALL,9 log while reproducing the problem with that curl
transaction:

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BugReporting#debugging-a-single-transaction

> The domdst_SIProxy ACL is used only to change the outgoing address for
> specific domains

> The test URL https://archive.org is not in the domdst_SIProxy list.

That fact does not matter -- the warnings are printed (and the directive
is ignored) _before_ Squid checks the configured/listed values.

> I think we could ignore these warnings as squid works perfectly

I do not think we have enough information to reach that "works
perfectly" conclusion. At the very least, you should test with a domain
that should match domdst_SIProxy rather than one that should not match
(and does not match, but for the wrong reason).

> maybe there is a workaround to suppress logs flooding?

If you do not want to know what is actually going on (e.g., whether
there is a Squid bug or misconfiguration here), then you can use a "has"
ACL to protect your domdst_SIProxy ACL in tcp_outgoing_address context
from request-free evaluations. Here is an untested sketch:

     acl hasRequest has request

     # If Squid has no request access (possibly due to Squid bugs),
     # then do not use 10.72.235.184, even if domdst_SIProxy would
     # have matched if Squid had access to the request.
     tcp_outgoing_address 10.72.235.184 hasRequest domdst_SIProxy

Otherwise, consider sharing an ALL,9 log as discussed above.

HTH,

Alex.