[squid-users] How to build Squid 6

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Jul 23 09:49:23 UTC 2023

On 23/07/23 11:57, Henning Svane wrote:
> Hi Alex
>
> I have now followed the instruction below.
> All compiling and building was done without problems.
>
> When I run
> sudo systemctl status squid
> I get this message
> Unit squid.service could not be found.
> And /usr/sbin/squid do not exist
>
> What do I miss?

The instructions Alex gave will build Squid under a /usr/local directory.

To have Squid installed where the system package would put it you need
these ./configure options:

--prefix=/usr \
--localstatedir=/var \
--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/squid \
--datadir=${prefix}/share/squid \
--sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
--with-default-user=proxy \
--with-logdir=/var/log/squid \
--with-pidfile=/run/squid.pid

> I can see that the directory /etc/squid is not create I guess I have to make it myself, correct?
> Can I used the old files from the old 5.2 installation?

If you wish to use the old config yes. Run "squid -k parse" first to see
if there are any updates needed with the new version.

The /usr/lib/systemd/system/squid.service file from 5.2 might work, or
you can also try the Debian 13 one attached.

HTH