[squid-users] instances/queues when same script for multiple external_acl_type rules

Kevin Kretz kevin at rentec.com
Tue Jul 11 15:00:01 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have a script that queries a database when a request is made to squid.  It handles two different types of request:  those made from authenticated users, and unauthenticated requests which can be allowed based on the requesting host.

Requests of each type are defined with a different external_acl_type definition in squid.conf and different arguments are sent to the script depending which type it is.

Recently we hit the limits of the default children_max and its associated queue length.  It was addressed by increasing children_max - but it made me wonder:  if I have two external_acl_type rules calling the same external script, does squid maintain separate counts for the script instances associated for each external_acl_type definition?  Does

external_acl_type children-max 10 host_based blah blah blah script.py
external_acl_type children-max 10 user_based blah blah blah script.py

... have a max of 10 instances for each acl_type?  Or 10 instances total?

thanks

Kevin