[squid-users] Making squid into socks proxy

Francesco Chemolli gkinkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 19:36:05 UTC 2023

Hi Robert,
  in my understanding that configuration turns Squid into a Socks client.
Outbound squid connections will then be proxied through a socks proxy.
There might be a point, in some use cases, but I agree it's a stretch.
For instance it could help if there's a need to log URLs being accessed,
which socks by itself can' tdo; it might also work as a TLS interception
proxy which then needs to access some tightly-controlled network segment.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 9:30 PM robert k Wild <robertkwild at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the dumb question but what is the point of making squid into a
> socks5 proxy and if I have already built squid how do I add it to squid
>

> https://serverfault.com/questions/820578/how-to-enable-socks5-for-squid-proxy#820612
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

    Francesco