[squid-users] Getting ping to work via proxy

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sat Jul 1 23:38:43 UTC 2023

On Saturday 01 July 2023 at 23:15:28, robert k Wild wrote:

> So you can't get clients that go through the proxy server to ping to
> destination servers

That depends entirely on whether the clients have a route to send ICMP echo
requests ("pings") to the destination servers, and whether the replies are
routed back to the clients.

This routing could be quite different from the routing of HTTP/S requests,
which is what Squid is (mostly) used for,

On Saturday 01 July 2023 at 23:29:03, robert k Wild wrote:

> Will it work if I make my squid into a intercept proxy instead like below
>
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy
>
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/SslBumpWithIntermedia
> teCA

Squid is (primarily) an HTTP/S proxy (it can also do a few other protocols
such as FTP and Gopher), but it does not proxy ICMP (which is what "pings"
use).

So, setting up Squid as an intercepting proxy will allow it to intercept
HTTP/S requests for clients which are not explicitly configured to use a proxy.

It will not make Squid able to proxy ICMP.

What are you trying to achieve here?

Antony.

--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.