[squid-users] Question regarding the release process

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Jan 21 13:55:54 UTC 2023

On 21/01/2023 4:02 am, Athos Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi! I am trying to understand how accurate the discussion in
> http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-dev/2015-March/001853.html
> is nowadays,

That discussion was the latest on Squid numbering. There have been
modifications to release timing, but the numbering still follows that plan.

> so I can understand the guides in
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/DeveloperResources/ReleaseProcess regarding
> the release process.

Feature changes should be proposed against the "master" branch in our
github. If/when accepted they become part of the next Squid-N release
series. Which are now on a <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ReleaseSchedule>.

Point releases within a series should only contain documentation
corrections, bug and security vulnerability fixes. Exception may occur
at the release maintainers choice.

> What I am interested in understanding is if there is a hard commitment
> on the backwards compatibility between point releases since 4.x.
> In other words, is there any commitment for no feature changes between
> 5.x and 5.(x+1)?

Yes. Feature changes should only occur between Squid-(N).x and
Squid-(N+m).x with non-0 'm'.

HTH