[squid-users] e-CAP future development

Avram-Teodor Berindeie admin at eduaicta.ro
Mon Jan 2 13:56:21 UTC 2023

I don't have a Launchpad account so I'll post my question here.
I have been using SOPHOS SAVDI as an ICAP server for Squid for about 2
years (quite successfully).
http://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2020-January/021620.html
The problem is that SOPHOS SAVDI entered EOL and I can't really use it
anymore.
The only viable alternatives I have found so far are:
1. Kaspersky Scan Engine in ICAP mode with Squid
<https://support.kaspersky.com/ScanEngine/1.0/en-US/179904.htm>;
2. Dr.Web for UNIX Internet Gateways with Squid
<https://download.geo.drweb.com/pub/drweb/unix/gateway/11.0/documentation/html/en/index.html?dw_9_squid_integration.htm>
.
These two were a solution until the government of my country passed a law
restricting the use of Russian products due to the current political and
military context (the war in Ukraine).
In an attempt to find a solution, I installed libecap and Securepoint eCAP
antivirus adapter <https://github.com/Securepoint/squid-ecap-av/tree/master>
.
The solution works, but due to the problems related to the scanning speed
<https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/590> for Clamav 1.0.0, it is
still a variant to be tested.
And now after the end of the presentation, I would like to know what is
expected regarding the further development of eCAP, considering that
libecap-1.0.1 was launched in 2015.