[squid-users] Is samba required for kerberos authentication

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Feb 23 04:30:34 UTC 2023

On 23/02/2023 2:04 pm, Lubos Uhliarik wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question regarding kerberos authentication[1]. Is samba
> service necessary to be installed on the same machine as squid is for
> kerberos authentication? Is it really a prerequisite? Isn't e.g. sssd
> an option?

No. Squid and the Linux/BSD Kerberos helper just need a valid keytab.

Samba is just one of several ways to manage that keytab file.

I am not sure about "sssd", it does seem to provide the right commands
but I'm not sure if the resulting keytab is usable by the Squid helper.

However, sssd docs show what seems to be a dependency on Samba winbind
for the Kerberos support.
So it does not seem to meet your goal of avoiding Samba even if it could
be used for Squid.

Cheers