[squid-users] Understanding maximum outgoing HTTP CONNECT requests?

divan.whelk.0u at icloud.com divan.whelk.0u at icloud.com
Fri Feb 17 11:14:10 UTC 2023

Hi there!

I’m trying to understand what would the “theoretical” maximum amount of outgoing connections with squid setup as a HTTP CONNECT forward proxy would be (hardware permitting)?

From the [squid-users] About bottlenecks (Max number of connections, etc.) thread, I saw mention of the following:

> * The limit on number of connections any Squid can have attached is only limited by your configured FD limits and available server RAM. Squid uses ~64 KB per network socket for traffic state - which equates to around 2 GB of RAM just for I/O buffers at 20,000 concurrent client connections.

I assume the same would not apply on outgoing connections, and that there would be a limit of 65,536 connections to a single IP, port pair? For example, if we had 1 million users making requests via HTTP CONNECT, only 65K of them would be able to access the same website at any one time?

Thanks.