[squid-users] why-squid-reuse-headers-from-parent-but-not-the-html-body-when-not-200-ok

Tom JABBER tom.jabber at free.fr
Fri Feb 3 22:06:12 UTC 2023

@alex

"because popular browsers pretty much ignore CONNECT response headers
(except for proxy authentication) and body (always?)."

Well that's exactly how we discovered it: facing a parent proxy that
needs some AUTH.

"* After sending (to the client) an HTTP response header promising a
body, Squid has an obligation to send that promised (and available to
Squid) response body. Squid does not send it. Squid is buggy."

We definitively agree on this.

"It is possible to modify Squid to stop promising to send the cache_peer
response body (at an HTTP framing level), but it is probably better (and
easier!) to modify Squid to just generate a short error response from
scratch (instead of forwarding cache_peer response headers without a
body). Doing so will probably break some use cases, so such a change may
be officially rejected, but, even if it is, it may still work/help in
some other specific use cases."

By saying this you're suggesting I try to code this ? Or is there a
possible configuration I missed ?

@amos

"curl itself does this even without Squid."

What do you mean ?

@TJ