[squid-users] IP based user identification/authentication

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Dec 7 10:39:37 UTC 2023

On 7/12/23 15:34, Andrey K wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was interested if I can configure some custom external helper that
> will be called before any authentication helpers and can perform user
> identification/authentication based on the client src-IP address.

Well, yes and no.

The order of authentication and authorization helpers is determined by
what order you configure http_access tests.

So "yes" in that you can call it before authentication, and have it tell
you what "user" it *thinks* is using that IP.

However, ...

> It can look up in the external system information about the user logged
> in to the IP address and return the username and some annotation
> information on success.

Users do not "log into IP address" and ...

> If the user has been identified, no subsequent authentications are required.
> Identified users can be authorized later using standard squid mechanisms
> (for example, ldap user groups membership).
>
> This feature can be especially useful in "transparent" proxy
> configurations where 407-"Proxy Authentication Required" response code
> is not applicable.

... with interception the user agent is not aware of the proxy
existence. So it *will not* provide the credentials necessary for
authentication. Not to the proxy, nor a helper.

So "no".

This is not a way to authenticate. It is a way to **authorize**. The
difference is very important.

For more info lookup "captive portal" on how this type of configuration
is done and used.

Cheers