[squid-users] Instructions to build Squid proxy for Windows

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Apr 19 14:29:12 UTC 2023

On 18/04/2023 10:22 pm, Harsh Seattle wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As mentioned on the page-
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Windows, the pre-built
> binary packages are available for Squid 3.3 and 4. However, the
> current stable version of Squid is 5 with version 6 and 7 already
> under development.
>
> Given that pre-built packages are not readily available for Windows, I
> am hoping to compile version 5/6/7 for Windows. However, the
> instructions provided here-
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Windows#compiling are not
> user friendly and sort of incomplete.

FYI, The OS-specific pages assume you are already somewhat familiar with
building code. So that page lists the build details that are unusual and
specific to Windows.

The full build instructions are at
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/CompilingSquid

> Does anyone have any experience in compiling Squid for Windows? If so,
> can you please share instructions for the same?

The Windows situation is a bit complicated, as you can see by the number
of sub-sections in that "#compiling" section.

Cygwin has been maintained by Diladele. I am not sure what the current
situation with v5+ is there.
Mingw64 was building a few versions ago, but had some C++11/17 support
issues to work out.

If you want to try a build, identifying the process issues and/or fixes
are very welcome. Feedback on squid-dev mailing list or our bugzilla please.

HTH