[squid-users] logging: TCP connection to x.x.x.x/3128 failed

Waldemar Brodkorb wbx at openadk.org
Thu Apr 6 10:41:09 UTC 2023

Hi Alex,
Alex Rousskov wrote,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

> On 3/30/23 07:58, Waldemar Brodkorb wrote:
>
> > we recently updated one of our stage 1 proxies to Ubuntu 22.04 with
> > Squid 5.8. The setup is like so:
> > clients <-> loadbalancer <-> stage 1 proxies <-> stage 2 proxies <-> internet
> >
> > Now the cache.log on the stage 1 proxy is polluted with a lot of
> > messages like: TCP connection to x.x.x.x/3128 failed
> >
> > The message appear when a client tries to connect to a website which
> > does not resolve via DNS. The parent stage 2 proxy sends then a
> > 50x error and the stage 1 proxy logs messages like above for every
> > of the six stage 2 proxies.
>
> > How can we suppress these messages
>
> I do not think you can suppress these messages without changing Squid source
> code.

Okay, we changed the loglevel for this message.

> Please note that when Squid considers the connection to a cache_peer failed,
> it decrements the "up" counter for that peer. If that counter reaches zero,
> the peer will be marked as dead. The counter starts at connect-fail-limit=N
> level. The counter is restored to N when a connection succeeds, so you may
> not normally see a dead peer for this specific reasons, but it is just luck.

We had no luck, we are seeing a lot of dead peer messages so we set
connect-fail-limit=100 and now everything looks okay to us.

There is still one assertion which happens sometimes:
cache.log:2023/04/06 07:24:48 kid1| assertion failed: ../src/base/CbcPointer.h:181: "EX"

Have you ever seen this in the wild? What does it mean?

best regards
 Waldemar