[squid-users] Scaling concurrent TCP sessions beyond ephemeral port range

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sat Sep 10 02:22:02 UTC 2022

On 9/9/22 18:29, Praveen Ponakanti wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 8:31 PM Alex Rousskov wrote:
>
>     On 9/8/22 19:41, Praveen Ponakanti wrote:
>      >   * We have a large number of workers (30) to help with handling a
>      >     high RPS. However, TCP session reuse does not seem to be optimal
>      >     even with server_persistent_connections enabled as a new outbound
>      >     session would have to be opened up if the request is proxied by a
>      >     kid worker that doesn’t already have a connection to that
>      >     destination. Is there something that can be done to improve this
>      >     with later versions of squid? Would be glad to help out if anyone
>      >     has some suggestions.
>
>     If your only concern is TCP, and the number of servers is large,
>     then it
>     would be possible to share open Squid-server connections among workers
>     by adding code that would exchange open TCP socket descriptors using
>     UDS
>     messages, but I doubt it is worth doing (a lot of complexity but not
>     enough gain). There may also be some advanced/modern kernel tricks that
>     we can teach Squid to use for sharing connections, but, again, I doubt
>     the complexity would be worth the benefits from such reuse.

> Agree, it might not make sense to increase the complexity with sharing
> socket among the workers. Was thinking more on the lines of a hashmap
> that the coordinator could use to pick workers that already have a TCP
> connection to the destination being requested, instead of having the
> workers themselves share connection details.

Coordinator does not receive/see regular HTTP traffic. If we start
routing HTTP transactions through that process, it may become the
bottleneck itself _and_ will introduce additional overheads for passing
descriptors to workers. From performance point of view, the model with
one "routing" task doling work to workers works best (and is commonly
used) in threaded applications, but Squid is not threaded at that level.

> Most of the TCP connections are for HTTPS reqs, w/o TLS termination at
> the squid. Does squid currently support a TLS session cache ?

Yes, there is some support for worker-specific TLS session caching, with
directives like sslproxy_session_cache_size, tls_outgoing_options
options=NO_TICKET (for outgoing sessions IIRC) and https_port
sslflags=NO_SESSION_REUSE and https_port sslcontext (for incoming sessions).

HTH,

Alex.