[squid-users] [Troubleshoot] Squid 3.3 - Lots of 403 erros when reducing the workers number

Xavier Lecluse zebu14 at free.fr
Fri Sep 9 08:20:42 UTC 2022

Hello Alex,

Thanks for your answer.

>> We are using two squid proxies (Squid 3.3)

>Squid v3 is not officially supported. My answers below may apply to
>Squid v3, but they are based on Squid v5+.

>> In order to address some issues with Java clients, we tried to lower
>> the worker directive from 8 to 1, because of the relative low number
>> of simultaneous connections on our SSquid servers (about 100rq/s)
>> After reducing the worker value to 1, and restarting the proxies, we
>> observed a great number of 403 errors, so we decided to rollback to 8
>> workers.

>> - How the number of workers and these 403 errors can be correlated ?

>I do not know the exact correlation vector in your environment, but
>fewer workers means, among other things, smaller _aggregate_
>authentication cache size and higher load on individual authentication
>helpers. To pinpoint the correlation, we would need to know _why_ Squid
>is generating 403 (Forbidden) errors.

Is there a specific way to find the reason ? Do I need to activate a certain logging level to see these traces ?
I will check in the actual logs and I'll come back if I don't find anything

>> - Is there any "recommandations" about the number of workers to use,
>> for a given number of request/s ?

>Workers are primarily a performance optimization. For related tuning
>suggestions, please see
>https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale#How_to_configure_SMP_Squid_for_top_performance.3F

Yes, I saw and read this thread on the Wiki.
We were already using some of these recommandations.
I think we are quite far from a "top performance" but we didn't observed any performance issue when we used 8 workers.
I understand that an individual worker should be able to handle our actual load, but we have to find what is provoking the 403 errors first.

>> The inital problem is from some java clients, which are using two TCP
>> sessions, one for the authentication, and another one for the HTTP(s)
>> requests. The fact is that the "second" session is not always opened
>> on the same worker, so ot considers that the authentication step has
>> not already been done.

>> Is there a way to address this issue ?

>If (a request on) the second connection has enough information to link
>it to the first/authenticated request/connection, then it may be
>possible to configure Squid and write authentication helpers in such a
>way that the "other" worker knows that the client of the second
>connection has already authenticated. The details would depend on the
>authentication scheme and that "linking" mechanism.

Do you have any example of an authentication helper I can start with ? or an example on how to "link" events between workers ?
I was thinking that workers were quite "individuals" and did not exchange anything (or verry little) with each other.
Any start point would be welcome.

Regards,
Xavier