[squid-users] Unwanted authentication requests

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Sep 9 02:57:18 UTC 2022

On 9/09/22 07:22, Marek Greško wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> thanks for tip. I did not know about that directive. Is it possible to specify no method for others? I tried none, but squid complained. Not necessarily needed now, but I tried to specify no method for other vlans without success. I left basic for others now.
>
> Regarding the logs, I am not sure whether they were logged before, but before I did not get the basic login requests. Well, sometimes yes, but definitely not several a day, but one for months. Maybe it is some firefox update problem?

I think some change in the Browser(s) is likely the cause, assuming you
did not alter the auth configuration and/or how http_access policies
used authentication ACLs.

FYI, unless you specify the auth_schemes policy Alex mentioned Squid
will always inform the client of *all* auth types you configured for
use. Which auth scheme(s) to try is entirely a Browser/client choice.

Regarding the popup box. That is an internal Browser choice to ask the
user to supply credentials instead of locating them by other means (eg
SSO, machine account, or a credentials store). It has nothing to do with
Squid.

HTH