[squid-users] squid exiting on signal 6

Andrey K ankor2023 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:58:38 UTC 2022

Hello ludovit,

We experienced the similar problems of crashing squid with "signal 6 and
status 0" symptoms in the /var/log/messages. There were hundreds of crashes
per hour during the working hours. There were also many crashes during
night hours. And I had no idea what the cause of the problem was.
But your case shed light on the problem.

I captured network traffic and saw in the dump many requests to IPv6
addresses like this: POST http://[2001:67c:4e8:f004::a]:80/api HTTP/1.1\r\n
I think that the requests were generated by the Telegram application,
because neighboring similar requests were addressed to Telegram IPv4 pools:
POST http://91.105.192.100:80/api HTTP/1.1\r\n

To fix the problem somehow, I added the following rules to the very
beginning of the SQUID configuration:
  acl urldst_ipv6 url_regex ^http://\[
  http_access deny urldst_ipv6

Now it seems the problem has been solved.

I was wondering if this is a SQUID bug. In my opinion, SQUID should not
crash on requests to IPv6 resources, but should send a response with an
error, for example, Bad gateway 502, or Not Acceptable 406.

Kind regards,
    Ankor.