[squid-users] FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Oct 21 08:25:46 UTC 2022

On 20.10.22 10:14, Grant Taylor wrote:
>My comment was more directed at why is $LANGUAGE_DOESNT_MATTER used
>/in/ /the/ /location/ /field/?

apparently this is a hack to be able to define proxy autoconfig in the
location field.

Since it has very restricted capabilities, it's apparently non-issue.

I guess that you can only define FindProxyForURL() this way.

>>because standard servers and not proxies usually run on standard ports.
>
>I trust that you don't intend it to be, but that feels like a
>non-answer to me.
>
>That's sort of tantamount to saying "I drive on the shoulder because
>there are cards on the road."
>
>HTTP(S) connections /are/ the HTTP protocol and the standard port for
>HTTP protocol is port 80 for unencrypted connections and port 443 for
>encrypted connections.
>
>I rarely see a web server and a proxy server (as in different service
>daemons) run /on/ /the/ /same/ /system/.  As such there is no conflict

I know of such servers.
And, HTTP proxy does not even have defined own port so people use random
ports or ports commonly used for this service.

>Then there is the entire different class where the same daemon
>functions as the web server and the proxy server.  Apache's HTTPD and
>Nginx immediately come to mind as fulfilling both functions.

>So ... I feel like "de-conflicting ports" is as true as "having to
>have different IPs for different TLS certificates".

the beautiful nature of HTTP allows us to define port within URL, and
therefore people tend so use separate ports instead of allocating extra IP
addresses for proxy usage.

I think Adam Meyer also explained it nicely.

>>Also, FTP protocol (port 21) does not support proxying, and using
>>FTP proxy usually involves hacks.
>
>I completely disagree.
>
>I've been using FTP through proxies for years.  Firefox (and
>Thunderbird) has an option /specifically/ for using FTP through
>proxies.  As depicted in the the picture of Firefox on the page that
>Rafael A. linked to.

That is FTP through HTTP proxy. Not FTP through FTP proxy.
I repeat, FTP protocol does not support proxies and port 21 would be of low
usage here.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.