[squid-users] FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Thu Oct 20 15:49:37 UTC 2022

On 20.10.22 09:14, Grant Taylor wrote:
>Is it just me, or is it slightly disturbing that JavaScript in a
>configurations property box is being executed?

proxy autoconfig is javascript-based but uses very limited javascript.

while I agree javascript is not ideal, it's very hard to configure proper
proxy configuration without using scripting language.

and, when we need scripting language, it's much easier to use something that
has been implemented and is used in browsers.

>>More info at https://webproxy.diladele.com/docs/network/secure_proxy/browsers/
>
>Aside:  Why the propensity of running the HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, and SOCKS
>proxies on non-standard ports?  Why not run them on their standard
>ports; 80, 443, 21, and 1080 respectively?

because standard servers and not proxies usually run on standard ports.
Also, FTP protocol (port 21) does not support proxying, and using FTP proxy
usually involves hacks.

I'm not interested in your website anymore.
If you need cookies, bake them yourself.