[squid-users] FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

LEMRAZZEQ, Wadie wadie.lemrazzeq at capgemini.com
Fri Oct 14 14:32:11 UTC 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an encrypted communication between the browser and squid

theoretically, I followed this section to implement it : https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HTTPS#Encrypted_browser-Squid_connection

I tried to implement this on a dockerized Alpine, and a squid 5.5 with openssl module
in squid.conf, I have:
http_port 3128
https_port 3129 cert=/etc/squid/crt.pem key=/etc/squid/key.pem

but when I request squid https port, I got this error every time, in cache.log:
ERROR: failure while accepting a TLS connection on conn77 local=172.17.0.2:3129 remote=172.17.0.1:56608 FD 12 flags=1: 0x7fbd208f33e0*1
    connection: conn77 local=172.17.0.2:3129 remote=172.17.0.1:56608 FD 12 flags=1
Pipeline.cc(31) front: Pipeline 0x7fbd208f13a0 empty
Error.cc(22) update: recent: ERR_SECURE_ACCEPT_FAIL/SQUID_TLS_ERR_ACCEPT+TLS_LIB_ERR=1408F09B+TLS_IO_ERR=1

I also tried this with squid 4.10 with gnutls module, in an Ubuntu 20.40 environment, with the same squid.conf, and I got again a TLS error
client_side.cc(2597) tlsAttemptHandshake: Error negotiating TLS on local=x.x.x.x:3129 remote=x.x.x.x:50874 FD 11 flags=1: Aborted by client: An unexpected TLS packet was received.

I used for certificates, a self signed one, and a generated certificate signed by our CA, for both scenarios

Also, I tried multiple https_port options (disable some SSL implementation, manipulation of client certificates...) but without success

Am I missing something in the squid configuration?